Saturday, October 1, 2011

Of hudud, Datuk Nik Aziz and Bishop Paul Tan


Bishop Paul Tan is one of Malaysia’s most outspoken Catholic prelates. His fellow bishops are known to be more conservative in their public outlook and tend to shy away from controversies, particularly those involving political parties. While his statements on hudud are bold and politically and religiously correct, I doubt his fellow bishops are in total agreement with him. Nonetheless, I applaud Bishop Paul Tan’s refreshing stand on the matter. He is one Catholic leader who is vocal for the right reasons.

Borneo Post

FROM the outset, let me state that I have the utmost respect for PAS spiritual adviser Datuk Nik Abdul Aziz Nik Mat. He also happens to be one of the few Malaysian political leaders whom I do not know personally but profoundly respect and even admire.

I have consistently made this declaration for the Kelantan Menteri Besar in this column in the past. I did not change my mind even after he created the recent controversy over hudud following a dare by Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad. Nik Aziz broached the subject again because it was his duty as a Muslim leader to do so. For that reason alone, I will not fault him even if I do not agree with his hudud intention.

Nik Aziz is, to put it simply, a religious leader. He breaths, lives and leads by Islamic principles. Naturally, in all issues concerning his party and Islam, Nik Aziz is the voice of PAS.

Thus, it was his responsibility, being the party leader in Kelantan as well as spiritual adviser, to respond to Dr Mahathir’s dare to PAS to implement hudud in Kelantan.

I also believe that the Kelantan MB did not expect his response to arouse such emotions and evoke such a controversy particularly among his allies in Pakatan Rakyat. After all, it was nothing new – hudud and Islamic state are old, stale issues which were brought up many times in the past.

Politicians will always be politicians. They must always find ways and means to score points. The trouble with some of our politicians is that they seem to think they should make all decisions for us, the ordinary citizens.

At times, the politicians must realise that ordinary citizens are more capable of deciding what is best for themselves and the nation. This is because they have no political interests to protect and hence, are likely to think and act more rationally and objectively.

Like this on-going squabble over hudud, I will look at the issue in its overall perspective, which encompasses the question of an Islamic state too.

As a non-Muslim, I won’t waste my time debating with others and worrying about hudud just as I would not want to worry unnecessarily over an Islamic state.

In this case, I would not want people in Pakatan Rakyat or Barisan Nasional to make that decision for me. I’m capable of thinking and acting rationally over the hudud issue.

If politicians want to squabble and quarrel over a religious matter, please do not drag me into it. Religion is something personal to me – it’s a relationship between me and God. What I believe in and whether hudud or an Islamic state is good or not for me is up to me to decide.

To these politicians, let me tell them – please do not politicise religion! You’ll be damned if you continue to do so.

Why am I unconcerned or worried about hudud or an Islamic state? Because I just do not see it ever happening in this country.

Haven’t we gone through this before? PAS will never ever win enough seats in Parliament to change the Constitution single-handedly to institute an Islamic state.

Politics may be fluid but as far as the question of Islamic state is concerned, the racial and religious compositions of Malaysians are quite static. We can safely say that less than a fifth of Malaysians would favour an Islamic state at any time.

Another thing we can all be sure of – the people of Sabah and Sarawak will never ever agree to an Islamic state.

One more reason why I’m not at all worried or concerned about hudud or an Islamic state is that I do not think that it will ever happen in my lifetime. Neither will it happen in Nik Aziz’s lifetime, or Mahathir’s or Karpal Singh’s, or Anwar Ibrahim’s or Lim Kit Siang’s. So what’s the squabbling all about?

As a Catholic, I also noted with great interest the comments from Bishop Paul Tan about his agreement to the hudud being implemented in Kelantan if the Kelantanese so desire.

But he was also quick to qualify that there must be iron clad guarantees that the fundamental rights of non-Muslims will be protected.

The bishop’s statement reflects a much more open stand than before, on the thorny issue of the Islamic state. I must say I am surprised by his remarks.

While others may think that this is the stand of the Catholic Church of Malaysia over the hudud issue, I have my reservations.

Bishop Paul Tan is head of the Catholic Diocese of Melaka and Johor, one of the smaller Dioceses in the country. Although he currently chairs the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei, that does not make him the top Catholic prelate in the country. The Archbishops and bishops rotate among themselves in chairing the Conference.

As there is no Cardinal in Malaysia, the Archbishop of Kuala Lumpur, Rt Rev Tan Sri Murphy Xavier Pakiam is considered the most senior of the Malaysian bishops as he heads the biggest Catholic archdiocese.

However, Archbishop Leopoldo Girelli as Apostolic Nuncio to the Republic of Singapore, Apostolic Delegate to Malaysia and to Brunei Darussalam, being the Pope’s representative, is usually considered the highest Catholic authority in the country.

Bishop Paul Tan is one of Malaysia’s most outspoken Catholic prelates. His fellow bishops are known to be more conservative in their public outlook and tend to shy away from controversies, particularly those involving political parties.

While his statements on hudud are bold and politically and religiously correct, I doubt his fellow bishops are in total agreement with him. Nonetheless, I applaud Bishop Paul Tan’s refreshing stand on the matter. He is one Catholic leader who is vocal for the right reasons.

At the end of it all, I feel that we should drop the idea of hudud and focus on implementing laws based on the universal concept of human rights.

Malaysians must move on with the times and to keep abreast with fast developing globalisation, emphasise more on a liberal, equal, fair and just civil society.

What hudud? What Islamic state? We have been doing okay without them, so why bother to talk and quarrel over unnecessary issues at all!

0 comments:

Post a Comment